The Ambassador of the Kingdom of the Netherlands His Excellency Simon Smits invites you to the first edition of Hague Talks in London, also in the light of the Netherlands’ membership of the UN Security Council in 2018. This first London edition will bring together the worlds of development, peace & justice and technology, and invites you to share your experience in facing the challenges and opportunities technology brings.
Over the last decade, we have witnessed an increase of big data and the emergence of new technologies which can have a disruptive effect on people, businesses and society as a whole.
Hague Talks London opens the stage to three professionals to share their personal experiences on how technology can alter and improve the impact, methods and effectiveness of interventions.
Whether you are working for human rights NGOs, in humanitarian aid, for a development organisation or active as an academic, we invite you to join our discussion and share your experiences.
ABOUT THE SPEAKERS
- Dr Sam Muller – Sam is the founding director of HiiL, a social enterprise that is dedicated to enable 150 million people to prevent or resolve their most pressing justice problems by 2030 through user friendly justice that everybody can access, use and understand. HiiL do this by leveraging data and by stimulating innovation and entrepreneurship. In his talk Sam will set out why justice is both so terribly important and tremendously challenging.
- Alexia Solomou – Alexia is Associate Legal Officer at the International Court of Justice. In her Talk “The irreplaceability of the human mind” Alexia will share her experiences at the International Court of Justice and discuss if new technology is making humans redundant in the judicial process.
- Kathy Peach – Kathy is Head of Innovation and Foresight at Bond, helping Bond’s members to anticipate and adapt in a volatile and uncertain world. In this role she has pioneered new work on business model innovation in INGOs, and supported members to optimise their innovation efforts. Kathy has been named one of the top 40 most influential international development leaders under 40 by sector website Devex.
- Alan Thomson – Head of Technology of International Alert. He manages the Technology team, who develop software to support the organisation’s core peacebuilding work, develop and identify software to improve organisational efficiency, and support and maintain IT infrastructure.
- Stuart Moir – Stuart worked with International Alert as a knowledge management consultant. He is responsible for the design of peacebuilding programmes and how they are monitored in Ukraine, the South Caucasus, and Central Asia.
Moderator is His Excellency Simon Smits, the Dutch Ambassador to the UK since 2015.
Hague Talks is cosponsored by the city The Hague and the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. During the Netherlands´ chairmanship of the UN Security Council in March 2018 online Hague Talks will be shown at the UN Headquarters in New York City.